Mintel’s Food Provenance, published in April 2010 provides an in-depth analysis of the importance of food provenance in the eyes of UK consumers.
- Food origin has made it on to the agenda of the leading grocers, among other ethical and environmental issues, reflecting the growing interest in food provenance and the media focus on food labelling
- Half the population sees food origin information as important
- Food origin labelling is seen as sometimes misleading by one in three people
- The interest in free-range food has continued to grow even in the recession, helped by high-profile media coverage by celebrity chefs
- Animal welfare comes across as the most commonly noted food issue, deemed important by two in five UK adults